Technical translation is one of the most delicate and challenging tasks in the translation industry. It is highly specialized and requires an in-depth knowledge of technical terminology specific to the business or industry. This is why GlobalVision looks first to Certified Translators with specific Subject-Matter Expertise (SME) to your needs for Certifiable Translations. Bottom line, if the translator does not understand the source, the translated text will most likely be non-understandable!
Technical translation involves manuals, user guides, reports and scientific texts translation. It is mostly required in the following industries:
- medical translation opens in a new window,
- software localization opens in a new window,
- marketing collateral transcreation opens in a new window,
- engineering documents translation,
- pharmaceutical and healthcare translations, etc.
Unfortunately, many language service providers (LSP) don’t give the needed attention to the specificities of the different industries, which often results in catastrophic outcomes –far beyond simple delays and need for re-translation.
Quality in Translations
By knowing the following four rules of thumb, you can make a more informed decision regarding your technical documents translation opens in a new window:
1. Subject matter expertise: A professional translation company must ensure that its team of technical translators possesses the relevant knowledge and training in the subject of translation. Familiarity with the content terminology and technical expressions guarantees accuracy and readability of the translated text.
2. Regulations: Many industries implement constant updates required by regulatory bodies that vary from one country to another. A professional LSP maintains records of all changes and makes sure that their team abides by them in all translation projects.
3. Quality Assurance: You may be able to assess your LSP by their professionalism and translation samples that they show during the consultations and preparations for the translation. Though, the possession of an ISO 9001 certification for their quality management system along with robust processes and success stories can speak volumes!
4. Native, certified translators: In addition to being knowledgeable with the industry, the technical translator should be native to the target language and familiar with the culture of the end-user. The translator also should be very familiar with the processes applied and be well versed with the subject. Experience with translation tools to manage and store the translation is also essential to success.
Many agencies use generalist translators to provide all kinds of translations. Hence, their services might be cheaper than specialized LSPs with emphasis on technical translation. However, the results often show big gaps in quality. This will negatively reflect on the end-users’ perception of the company’s commitment to quality and on its image.
Also, many service providers today are depending significantly on machine translation and hiring less than qualified individuals to post-edit the machine-translated text. Although this speeds up the process and significantly reduce costs, with humans removed for the source text and often with little or no translation experience, the resulting work is far below optimal.
To ensure confidence in the translation quality work we provide, we are ISO9001 Certified opens in a new window.
Certificate of Accuracy
GlobalVision stands behind the quality of its work and offers its clients a free cycle of updates to the target files after in-house in-country review. Our team of translators will thoroughly review all client changes and comments, inquire on any incorrect or unclear changes and update the translation databases and target files. And in addition, we will provide a Certificate of Accuracy upon request for your records to file with your regulator bodies.
You may download a sample template here:
Download Certificate of Accuracy
This certificate of accuracy can also be notarized by a notary public using our company’s letterhead, meeting local and most international translation certification needs.
In some cases, regulated bodies require blind back translations, or translating text back to its original language. This is for regulated bodies that are not verse with the target languages to review the translation accuracy. With back translation, they can easily compare the back translation to the source translation. The back translation is called blind since the translators involved in the translation of the target text back to the original source language have not been involved in the original translation nor have previously seen the source files.
Back translation can be a costly option as it involves another full translation of the target languages back to the source, almost doubling the cost of the translation. It is not often requested, but in some very sensitive cases, it can be a useful step to satisfy regulated bodies’ requirements.
Regulatory agencies, independent or government dependent, are responsible for exercising their authority over many regulated industry sectors. They are tasked to ensure that private and public companies operate within dictated compliance guidelines. It is these agencies that often require proof of compliance in the forms of certified translations or certificates of accuracy.
Make sure that you fully understand the needs of these agencies before you proceed into requesting certifications from your language service vendor. Requirements vary greatly among countries and industries. For more information, read our medical translation blog.
Quality Management System (QMS)
Having an established quality management system in place, like ISO 9001:2015, will shine a positive light on a language service provider when it comes to offering certified translation services. Also, by being certified by an internationally recognized regulatory body like TUV, GlobalVision shows its commitment to due process, quality and accuracy.
Not all certified translations are alike! We take pride in our spotless quality and name. For more information on this subject, refer to the Benefits of Certified Translation Services.
Why Choose GlobalVision?
To put it simply, experience! We are professional project managers, subject-matter-expert linguists, voice talents, typesetters and engineers. We’ve been performing top quality translation, transcration, localization, voice-over and typesetting for 20+ years. We can separate art (language) from science (format and code) and then fuse them together seamlessly and efficiently. This allows your words to be meaningful and presentable in all languages. Our quality and customer service are second to none in the industry with 97+% first time success rate and 100% client satisfaction. We have the data to prove it!